Saturday, March 27, 2010

Perspective & Planning

Aerial_Land (2) While we’re waiting for the road work to start next week, wanted to document some basic layout information and plans. Above you can see an aerial of the acreage with the location of the clearing (you can’t actually see the clearing yet, since we just made it last week—not sure how long it will take to make it to the mapping services). The map border roughly lies on the property lines. The pond is just to the east of the push pin. The road is clearly visible.

The woods are mainly young oak with some cedar and the occasional ash, hickory, walnut, and a couple of rare maples (where the old house was located).

Lot LayoutThe lot we are clearing will eventually be about 300’ x 300’, but for now, we’re just doing 200 x 300’. I did quite a bit of research when I developed this lot plan and there are a lot of opinions. I was afraid of getting it wrong, but I really don’t think there are any wrong plans. However, the basic principles are mostly common sense, such as:

  • Minimize distance between the most walked-between structures;
  • Porch should be south-facing (if you like to catch some winter sun);
  • Animal structures and pens should be at least 100’ from the house;
  • If you must clear an easement for the power lines (30’ wide in my case), place it behind or out of the line of vision (so you’re not looking down an unsightly row of telephone poles);
  • You’ll need to place your well before you decide where the leach lines will go, since, obviously, these need to be separated by at least 100’;
  • Figure out what you want and don’t be afraid to start.

Not shown here are plans for a grey water system for shower, bath, kitchen and bathroom sinks, etc., which will be sent out towards either the garden or orchard areas. I’ve found these websites helpful in the planning process:

The Natural Home

Helpful homesteading links

CountrySide: Designing Your Ideal Homestead

Mother Earth News: The Owner Built Home & Homestead

Comments

Sorry about the comments requiring an id. (I’m still pretty new at blogging.) You should now be able to leave comments without an id.

…OK, just press on the Comments link below and you can leave a message of encouragement or something.

…Hello. Anyone out there?

Thanks, Mom, for that nice email.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for clearing up the "comment" process. What I said before was that you're a good writer and with the pictures along with it, I feel like I'm almost there with you. I sure do support you and Connie in what you're doing. And even tho that's not much help from way out here in California, I hope it makes you smile! I'll keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the plans for the "homestead." Reading your blog makes Brian and I want to do something similar....though you are far more talented then we are...maybe you should hire yourself out and build homesteads for other people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I love what you've done with the place! That pond looks just about like our ole swimming hole in Black Rascal...

    I showed Pam all your Blog pictures and asked if she wanted to call you guys to see if we could move out with you.....haven't spoken to her for a few hours...maybe I'll have to work on her for a while.

    Nice Blog, Nice aerial photo of your spread, nice trees, nice dirt road...looks like a lot of work though. Give me a call if you need help..Just kidding:)

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions!