Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Building the Homestead

I grew up in the country. Yet, for the past 35 years--my entire adult life--I've lived in cities (except for a year on 300 acres that we could ill-afford). Now we return.

Most people would think that living in a small town of 4500 people was "country" enough (a world view my wife used to share). But small towns, as nice as they are, also bring with them loud train horns and loud trucks snorting up the street. (Is it obvious I don't like noise--at least other people's.)

Fueled by my desire to return to the country, and supported by our yearning to simplify, reduce, and become more self-reliant, we purchased 80 acres about 4 miles north of town, in south-western Missouri.

I've never "blogged" before and I'm not sure if anyone except my family would even be interested. But despite the risk of irrevelance, I've decided to catalog our adventure building our homestead. And if I can figure out how to add a picture to this blog, you should be able to see it take shape as we do. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions!