Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Clearing the Land: Day One

IMG_1419

I hired Paul to clear the building site. He grew up around this very piece of land and had come highly recommended. I soon saw why: He works smart and fast.

I had set flags on a 100 foot grid to layout the building site. This was his first cut from the existing road 300 feet to the end of the building site (due North). IMG_1417This is tough stuff and after beating the woods into submission, we had what was beginning to look like a bonafide building site.

Initially, I intended on using the lumber to build with or as fire-wood. But as I soon learned, the trees are generally small IMG_1418and really close together, and so there isn’t much left after piling up the remains. So, I reconciled myself to clearing as little as necessary for the planned layout and waiting for some quality chain-saw time to harvest building materials and firewood.

IMG_1416

By then of the day, about two-thirds of the lot had been cleared and some very large piles of brush began to accumulate. A good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions!