Monday, June 13, 2011

Catching Up

A lot has happened recently that I wanted to catch up on. These might be out of sequence from the installing the door previous entry, but it represented some big steps.

 

I couldn’t resist putting in this video clip of Connie diligently working on nailing on the 30# roofing felt we used as window flashing. She is persistent, and a great worker. (She finally got the nail in on the second try). In all fairness, she was nailing in a difficult location.

IMG_2357

IMG_2429

 

 

 

 

 

 

We put in all the windows, along with to PTAC unit sleeves below two of the windows. We had these on hand and so we’ll use them as air conditioning and backup electric heat. (Actually, it will be our primary source of heat this winter and until I finish the masonry furnace.)

We then decided to put house wrap on the two gable ends to help protect the OSB sheathing (wafer board), since it will still be some weeks before we start the exterior siding.

IMG_2430

IMG_2432

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then we installed the shower unit in the bathroom. It went in well. I marked and cut out an access hole under the drain, installed the drain, then screwed in the fiberglass shower unit. I pre-drilled holes in the nailing fins first. It was a good thing I got the shower unit early on, before I finished the interior framing. And it was a good thing I waited to build the last little wall next to the shower. It would have been really heard if I had tried to install it after all this was done.

IMG_2359

IMG_2360

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also fixed the mower. This is now our only mower, having sold my big honkin’ Gravely zero-turn mower. We started out with just dirt around here, but surprisingly, a lot of grass has grown everywhere the land was cleared, except where we laid down rock and gravel. So, this is needed to try and keep ahead of the nearest grassy areas. Anyway, the shroud had broken and I used my rudimentary gas welding skills to fix it. Not pretty, but it held. The mower had just been sitting out for over a year. It started on the first pull (yes, it’s got a Honda engine), but then died because the air filter was plugged. Once I used it for a bit, it worked like a charm.

IMG_2426

 

We had a visitor behind our house. I think this is a snapping turtle. He wouldn’t answer my questions and I didn’t want to get to close to force the issue. I think he was heading for our pond. Maybe he can keep the other critters in line.

 

 

 

IMG_2412

IMG_2415

 

 

 

 

 

 

Finally, a garden update. Things are growing. I think I have some black rot on my grapes, according to a neighbor who runs an organic vineyard. But for the first year, I’m pleased.

IMG_2417

 

Here’s saying goodbye for now. This was taken a few days ago looking out our trailer door to our driveway. A good almost-summer shot.

 

 

 

 

And here’s a current picture of the house as it now stands:

IMG_2400

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions!