Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Garden and Roof

We took a bit of time and planted our garden. It was late (10th of May), but with all the rains, it was the soonest we could do it. We planted beets, bush beans, squash, lettuce, carrots, some watermelon seeds we had left over from plants that grew in our yard a couple years ago, tomato plants, and some old corn seed.

 IMG_2316 IMG_2317

 

 

 

 

 

 

We planted the beans and beets in the raised beds. The blackberries are doing fine. The squash was the first to come up. Everything but the watermelon and corn has come up.

Back to the house: Me and my helper started putting up the roof decking, but then he had to work at another job and I didn’t know if I could do it alone. Connie and I picked up the sheathing and as you can see, she did great. Just look at those muscles!

IMG_2318

IMG_2319

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, after a few sheets, I was feeling overwhelmed. It didn’t seem this hard the last time we did a roof (but that was 20 years ago). Connie solved the problem by insisting I hire a roofer. I found one and he did a wonderful job with finishing the decking and the roof.

 IMG_2321IMG_2328

 

 

 

 

 

 

As you can see, we decided to go with shingles (Heritage architectural 30 year) rather than metal “ag” panel. Here’s the rationale: 1) metal is not cheaper than shingles, after you figure all the metal trim, contrary to what I originally thought; 2) metal is not maintenance free, even though it has a 45 year warranty (you will definitely need to tighten or replace the screws within 10 years); 3) insurance companies do not readily replace metal, even with hail damage, or dents, but they do readily replace damaged shingle roofs; 4) it’s easier to hide imperfections in the roof, such as out of square, with shingles; and 5) I really think shingles look better.

If I could afford standing seam, at $180-200 a square, I’d go with that, because that really is superior. But I can’t, so heritage shingles was the way to go for me.

IMG_2333

IMG_2330

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2343And there it is. We stained and put on the fascia board and trim on the rake before the shingles went down. Next is to finish the sheathing and house wrap, in preparation for the doors and windows.

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2345IMG_2347

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh yes, we also finished the door and window bucks and cut the sheathing around the edges.

1 comment:

  1. Sterling and I think the house looks great! You can come help build us one when you finish:)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions!